Electrical Engineering Building CRM Project
The refurbished Electrical Engineering Building will provide facilities for industry, school and community engagement that will enhance Electrical Engineering’s ongoing community outreach programs and success in industry. The School of Electrical Engineering aims to expand linkages and partnerships with donors, business, industry, the professions, schools, community organisations, government, academic and international bodies.
Latest Project News
On Tuesday 7 June 2016, NSW Department of Planning and Environment announced that the project's planning application has been approved. Read the Department'smedia release for more detail.
- Update the identity and visibility of the School of Electrical Engineering
- Provide a best practice research workplace which support multi-disciplinary collaboration and interaction.
- Provide a place that stimulates innovation and discovery.
- Provide contemporary research lab infrastructure which can flexibly accommodate and respond to changing research programs over time
- Increase informal collaborative student spaces throughout building
- Implement appropriate sustainability initiatives to ensure a resource-efficient and adaptable building.
Key design features
- Refurbish and retro-fit the building to regulatory compliance, to extend the base building and service life by 30 years to 2045
- Façade upgrade to retain the period character.
- Provide informal outdoor learning spaces adjacent to Rex Vowels theatre.
- Showcase laboratory and workshop functions
- Install new roof top plant-rooms and roof decks for experiments
- Replacement of services and a new fit-out to provide contemporary research and learning facilities.
- Optimise sharing with a Projects Workshop as all building occupants
- Provide economical facilities benchmarked against UNSW and Australian standards rigorously challenged through a detailed briefing process with tenant groups.
Joe Santangelo, UNSW Senior Project Manager
Image provided by Hassell.